Number of credits
|Master in biomedicine (120 ECTS)||4 crédits|
Language(s) of instruction
Organisation and examination
Teaching in the first semester, review in January
Units courses prerequisite and corequisite
Prerequisite or corequisite units are presented within each program
Learning unit contents
Nutritional aspects in neonatology
Part 1: general concepts
- Scope the course and neonatal specificities
- Preparation to birth of the digestive tract
- Importance of nutrition during early life and nutritional needs of the term newborn
- Developmental abnormalities affecting enteral feeding
- Cystic fibrosis in the neonatal period
Course on irritable bowel syndrome and nutrition.
Course on pathophysiology of cirrhosis.
Course on epidemiology, pathophysiology and natural history of inflammatory bowel diseases and celiac disease.
Course on food allergy.
Course on pathophysiology of chronic pancreatitis.
Course on pathophysiology of bariatric surgery and its complications.
Learning outcomes of the learning unit
The course allows the knowledge of:
- Fundamentals in normal and abnormal development of the digestive tract
- Principles of neonatal nutrition in normal et pathologic conditions
- Basic physiopathology and treatment of current diseases of the digestive tract in the newborn infant
Knowledge on pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome, of cirrhosis, of inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease, of food allergy, of chronic pancreatitis, of bariatric surgery.
Knowledge on natural history of irritable bowel syndrome, of cirrhosis, of inflammatory bowel disease and coeliac disease, of food allergy, of chronic pancreatitis, of bariatric surgery.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Anatomy and physiology of gastrointestinal tract, liver, and pancreas.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Ex cathedra course.
Mode of delivery (face-to-face ; distance-learning)
Recommended or required readings
Slideshows available for students
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral exam with open questions on the topics of the ex cathedra course and the corresponding slide show. For more information: www.facmed.ulg.ac.be/examens
No work placements foreseen