30h Th, 30h Pr
Number of credits
|Bachelor in computer science||6 crédits|
|Master in data science (120 ECTS)||5 crédits|
|Master in computer science (120 ECTS)||5 crédits|
|Master in computer science (60 ECTS)||5 crédits|
Emilie Charlier, N...
Language(s) of instruction
Organisation and examination
Teaching in the second semester
Units courses prerequisite and corequisite
Prerequisite or corequisite units are presented within each program
Learning unit contents
- Propositional logic (application : electric circuits) and first order logic (application : expert systems, formalisation of natural languages);
- Arithmetic (application : various position numeration systems);
- Naive set theory (including finite and infinite cardinal arithmetic);
- Introduction to finite structures such as groups or rings (application to cryptography);
- Classical combinatory, linear recurring equations, inclusion-exclusion principle.
Learning outcomes of the learning unit
Its objective is twofold :
- to give a first background for various mathematical topics closely linked with theoretical computer science,
- to improve correctness of inductive reasonning, and in particular to insure a good translation from natural to formal languages.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The exercice lessons have a double objective : first illustrate the concepts and results of the theoretical part, and second provide applications of the theory.
Mode of delivery (face-to-face ; distance-learning)
Class on Friday morning during the second semester, at the Institute of Mathematics, B37.
Recommended or required readings
I recommand the syllabus of Georges Hansoul "Mathématiques pour l'informatique", which won't replace careful personal notes of the students during the class.
Assessment methods and criteria
June : written examination, theory and exercices.
September : written examination, theory and exercices.
Institute of Mathematics - B37
Allée de la Découverte, 12 - 4000 Liège
Tél. : 04/366.93.84
Fax : 04/366.95.47
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org(G.Hansoul@ulg.ac.be )
Tél. : 04/366.94.32
E-mail : J.Raskin@ulg.ac.be