Number of credits
|Master in oceanography (120 ECTS)||3 crédits|
Language(s) of instruction
Organisation and examination
Teaching in the first semester, review in January
Units courses prerequisite and corequisite
Prerequisite or corequisite units are presented within each program
Learning unit contents
The field sampling in marine environment is not easy. Some variables have to be considered: wave exposure, depth, substratum type and slope, topographical heterogeneity, salinity and the degree of human or natural perturbation. The available material (boat, nets...); budget,...
The steps in designing a field sampling program include:
- Identifying the study goals including the questions to be answered by the study or the hypothesis to be tested.
- Developing an effective and statistically powerful study design.
This course aims at introducing some general methodologies for marine ecological baseline surveys. It provides the general concepts and considerations for various standard survey methods like: Site selection, Sampling Design (adapted to Baseline, Impact or Monitoring studies)
Learning outcomes of the learning unit
The student will be able
- to design an experimental protocol
- to write and present it with:
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
To speak and understand English
A good basic knowledge on Biology
A good basic knowledge in Marine Ecology
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
- Courses dedicated to theoretical aspects
- Talks of invited researchers
- A field trip in Corsica (For MER students)
Mode of delivery (face-to-face ; distance-learning)
Courses in face-to-face.
The attention of the student is regularly requested during tutorial classes
Field trip at STARESO (Calvi-Corse) (MER students).
Recommended or required readings
The ppt constitute the basis of the course, they contain the essential information and not all of the oral comments given during the course.
The ppts are accessible on myUlg or given at the end of each course.
Assessment methods and criteria
The evaluation is based on :
A dissertation (10 minutes) on an experimental protocol (subject define with the professor). The presentation is graded not only on its content but also on its quality , clarity, respect of the timing.
To help you:
- I will be your guide (courses, books...)
- The field trip at STARESO (MER Students)
- Presentation of researchers of my lab
- The scientific posters
A field trip in Corsica (October 2016 for MER students)
- Respect class times.
- If you contact the secretary or the professor by e-mail, do not expect the replies to be immediate. Please, be patient.
- University-assigned student e-mail is the Official means of communication with all students.
Prof Sylvie Gobert Océanologie Institut de Chimie. B6c-2/49 Tél: 04 3663329 e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretariat M Lunetta: 04 366 50 62 https://www.facebook.com/oceanbioulg/ http://labos.ulg.ac.be/oceanologie/ http://www.stareso.ulg.ac.be/
- Meeting with my secretary: Mrs Mariella Lunetta is in her office (B6C, room 1/21 , Sart Tilman) the Tuesday from 8:30 -10:30 am and the Thursday from 13:30-15:00 pm.
- Meeting with me: I will make time available during and directly after the classes for your questions. I rarely can be available for unscheduled meeting. To make appointment , call 04 366 50 62 (Mrs Lunetta) or send an email: M.Lunetta@uliege.be.
- My malbox is in the room 2/48.
- We ask for your co-operation with these regulations.