Number of credits
|Master of Science (MSc) in Electrical Engineering||10 crédits|
Language(s) of instruction
Organisation and examination
All year long
Units courses prerequisite and corequisite
Prerequisite or corequisite units are presented within each program
Learning unit contents
Internship of 40 days in a company or a research center.
Learning outcomes of the learning unit
By the end of the internship the student will have discovered a professionnal environment and techniques specific to the visited company or research center. He/she will have completed a substantial amount of work using his/her knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Mode of delivery (face-to-face ; distance-learning)
Fully embedded (no homeworking) in a company or research center.
Recommended or required readings
Assessment methods and criteria
Written report (about 30 pages, describing the context, the company, the problem to be solved, the methodology, the tasks that were carried out and the results) and an oral defense (with an oral presentation and a questions & answers session).
The final grade takes into account the amount and quality of the work, the quality of the written report and the oral presentation, the relevance of the answers during the defense, as well as the opinion of the industrial sponsor.
The internship is organized under the responsability of a internship committee consisting of
- the academic sponsor: contacted by the student, he validates the scientific and/or technical contents of the internship and assumes the academic supervision;
- the industrial sponsor: he assumes the daily supervision in the host institution;
- one or more ULiège professors or scientists, able to evaluate the work carried out during the internship.
A non-exhaustive list of subjects is available on the website http://www.fsasurvey.ulg.ac.be/tfe/list.php. The webpage http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/tfe-internships-companies also lists companies that regularly propose internship in the field of electrical engineering and computer science. Students can propose subjects on their own, but these subjects must be approved by an academic sponsor.
Students' University registration must be complete by the time they start the internship.
- The academic sponsor proposes an internship committee to the internship coordinator.
- Before the intership begins, the student sends the completed internship agreement and the risk analysis form (cf. https://www.facsa.uliege.be/cms/c_3178752/fr/facsa-stages) to the intership coordinator.
- In the three weeks following the end of the internship, the student sends his/her written report to each member of the committee, as well as to the internship coordinator. The student also sends the corresponding assessment form to the industrial sponsor (cf. https://www.facsa.uliege.be/cms/c_3178752/fr/facsa-stages), who sends it back to the internship coordinator.
- Once the report is handed in, the student contacts the committee members and the internship coordinator to find a date suitable for the defense. The defense can take place during or out of the standard examination periods, depending on the constraints of the members. The internship coordinator acts as a moderator during the defense.
Internship coordinator: Prof. C. Geuzaine (email@example.com)