26h Th, 26h Pr
Number of credits
|Master in electrical engineering (120 ECTS)||5 crédits|
Language(s) of instruction
Organisation and examination
Teaching in the first semester, review in January
Units courses prerequisite and corequisite
Prerequisite or corequisite units are presented within each program
Learning unit contents
- I. Modeling of telecommunications systems: estimation theory, low-pass equivalent representation of signals and systems, calculation of noise budget in telecommunications systems
- II. A system view of telecommunications chains: digital modulation, ideal transmission systems for digital communications and inter-symbol interferences modeling, spread-spectrum, GPS basics, multiplex and access techniques to a multiplex signal, telephone traffic theory
- III. Topics related to the physical layer: transmission over a twisted-pair, design of a radio link for terrestrial mobile communications
Learning outcomes of the learning unit
This lecture follows the course "Principles of analog and digital telecommunications systems".
The modeling elements of telecommunications systems are exposed.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- master modelization aspects of a telecommunications system;
- design a transmission system;
- feel confortable with all the aspects of transmission;
- evaluate and predict the performance.
Prerequisite knowledge and skills
ELEN008-0 Principles of analog and digital telecommunications systems
Please note that, for whom who where unable to follow this previous course, we provide a document with the prerequisite (see the bottom of this page). This will help you to check if you are prepared to follow this new course.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is based on "ex-cathedra" lectures (30 hours) and practical courses (30 hours). The "ex-cathedra" lectures describe advanced theoretical concepts involved in telecommunications systems. The practical courses involve exercise sessions.
Mode of delivery (face-to-face ; distance-learning)
Recommended or required readings
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral examination including theoretical and practical questions.
This course takes place during the first quadrimester. It includes a lecture on theory and training session per week.
Teacher : M. Van Droogenbroeck (04/366 26 93) Assistant : P. Latour